3.16.2013

Button-Down to Swingy Tank

From my non-achievement in top-making last week, we have learned that I don't like it when clothes are too tight.  (I think this comes from when I was in junior high and everyone was wearing tight clothes and my mom told me that if I tried something on and I thought it fit, I should buy one size larger.  Good advice for the time.)

Below is another shirt that is not disastrously tight, but the buttons still pull a little at the chest, the armholes are all up in my armpits' business, and the gapping at the bottom indicates that the shirt doesn't fit properly around my hips.  Therefore:  too small.
In one of the quickest top makeovers of all time, I was able to solve all three of the above problems.  I simply cut off the sleeves and used the as triangular inserts in the side seams to make a fun little swing top!
I love this silhouette as a fun, casual, springtime top, but if I'm feeling a little too swingy, it also belts really nicely to create a peplum shape instead!

In case anyone is interested, here's the easiest tutorial ever:
1.  Cut up side seams and cut off sleeves.
2.  Cut sleeves into long triangles (make sure the sides are as long as your side seams).
3.  Pin and sew triangles into open side seams.
4.  Double fold and sew armholes.
5.  Hem triangle insert.

And that's all, folks!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Valerie!

    Both are so pretty. But your new shirt is so lovely and just perfect for summer time! Can imagine how cool and smooth it'll be on very hot days!

    I spotted this beautiful black dress at your wardrobe. Can you tell more about it? It is adorable!!!

    See you,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! What a great refashion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!!! (love the headband too, of course)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and simple...Have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a sewing machine for Christmas, but since I never took Home Ec, I'm kind of at a loss with what to do with the big appliance taking up half of my kitchen table.. or, well, I was at a loss until I found your blog :) I now have 4 different designs that I'm planning to make- thanks!!

    ReplyDelete